Forum HomeCA-Modern ForumsHome Maintenance Hotline › Insulation

Insulation

8 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: Dec 26 2003

Have people found that their homes have had original wall insulation or not.

My original owners manual as well as most of the books on eichlers mention R9 fiberglass wall insulation, however mine had none.

Just wondering if they forgot it in mine, or the manuals/books don't have the right info.

The house was built in 1962, in SF.

Offline
Joined: Jan 4 2004

Hey Alex-
I wonder if you are the same guy that I met a few months ago on Amber who was doing a roof (and other projects) and I supplied you with some Eichler materials. If so, hello again, if not, it is a pleasure.
I usually see R-11 in most of the exterior walls when remodeling; but sometimes there is not any (I'd estimate 80%-20% in favor of the insualtion). But a really good rule about opening up walls is never assume anything!! Try to picture opening up the walls as getting a gift from the aunt or uncle that usually gives you socks for Christmas (low expectations, high hopes). I like to use an encapsulated R-13 pruduct that claims to be "itch -free". Happy exploring.

renman

Offline
Joined: Feb 6 2004

There wasn't a drop of insulation in our 1956 home in the San Mateo Highlands. 3/4" grooved plywood, tar paper, 2x4 stud wall, and the 1/4" mahogany finish wall. The interior partitions, of course, had the 1/4" ply on both sides of the studs and no tar paper.

-JT

Offline
Joined: Jan 29 2004

My 1963 San Jose Eichler had poorly installed R-9. Lots of voids, bunching, etc. But I'll bet they work just a smidge faster than me. Like, maybe 10 times as fast.

I put in R-13 as a replacement. It made a big difference in the corner rooms.

Offline
Joined: May 12 2003

boberonicus, did you do it yourself or use a contractor ? Also I tried emailing you for your list of window contractors but it bounced. Can you please send me the info at ksjunk at sbcglobal dot net
Thanks

Kalpak

Offline
Joined: Jan 29 2004

kalpak wrote:
boberonicus, did you do it yourself or use a contractor ? Also I tried emailing you for your list of window contractors but it bounced. Can you please send me the info at ksjunk at sbcglobal dot net
Thanks

Kalpak

Intruiging username... Related to the firm Cal Pac? Anyway, I did the insulation work myself. The R-13 sold at Home Depot is pretty cool. About 15% of the rolls in each package are vertically perforated. The other 85% of the rolls are precut for the length and width between two studs, about 8' X 14" The perforated rolls can be used to tailor insulation to the slimmer areas. It's hard to explain but it works really well.

Given the recent heat wave, many people have asked me about glass companies. So I've posted the list on my own web site.

Robert

Joined: Mar 2 2004

Wow, a 1962 Eichler with no wall insulation!
I think the newer ones with the shake roof section have wall insulation.
I believe Eichler offered it as an option. It must not have been very popular. If you could heat an Eichler for $12/month in a 1950's winter, it would have taken many years to pay for the cost of the wall insulation.
My North Palo Alto Eichler, built in 1955 had no wall insulation. The paneling had been painted, so I removed all the paneling and found no insulation. I did find termites in 5 locations. I was always afraid the children might burn the house down, so I installed sheetrock.
I see so many Eichlers where the paneling is in beautiful shape. All it takes is one little guy with a tricycle to ruin the paneling.

Offline
Joined: Mar 31 2003

Or one big guy with a wallpaper roll!!!!

Offline
Joined: May 12 2003

Quote:

Intruiging username... Related to the firm Cal Pac? Anyway, I did the insulation work myself. The R-13 sold at Home Depot is pretty cool. About 15% of the rolls in each package are vertically perforated. The other 85% of the rolls are precut for the length and width between two studs, about 8' X 14" The perforated rolls can be used to tailor insulation to the slimmer areas. It's hard to explain but it works really well.

Given the recent heat wave, many people have asked me about glass companies. So I've posted the list on my own web site.

I am not related to Cal Pac. Thanks for your list and the info. I might be asking a basic question but how do I open up paneling in my eicler.. or better still does anyone know of contractor who would install the insulation. Please e-mail me directly with recommendations.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.