Forum HomeCA-Modern ForumsHome Maintenance Hotline › Fireplace look

Fireplace look

12 replies [Last post]
Joined: May 21 2004

I have a very ugly fireplace access where things are gold-like.
Our Eichler is decorated in modern style and I am looking to replace the fireplace access (door, screen, insert). I checked a couple of stores as Design With Reach. They have great stuff but way overpriced. Anyone found a cool modern design at a moderate price? Please e-mail with recommendations to pubmessagesATsbcglobalDOTnet

Joined: Mar 21 2003

Please post the information too! We are also looking for fireplace screen and tools that are appropriate to both our 1958 Eichler and our pocket book.

Joined: Dec 14 2003

Here's that's similar to the DWR screen for about a third the price. My parents bought a nice prarie style screen at Target for $135 recently.

Joined: Mar 20 2003

a flat black recessed screen is not only appropriate, but cost only $110. You'll find them in catalogs at your local fireplace store.

Joined: Feb 6 2005

I bookmarked this one a while back. Haven't bought it yet as it's also kind of pricey ($199), but they all seem to be. There are matching tools for another $159:

Joined: Oct 10 2003

Joe B, or anyone else: do you guys know if there are commonly available extra long screens of a similar modern/minimal stylr? i've seen custom screens for offer in the DWR catalog, but not elsewhere. -thanks

Joined: Mar 20 2003

it is my experience that recessed chain screens are costume fit to your opening, since there was never a "common" fireplace size. I am sure a fireplace/wood stove store could tell you.

Joined: Aug 28 2003

Even though the black chain screens are original to the Eichlers there is something about them that reminds me of medieval castles.

Joined: Mar 20 2003

Leslie wrote:
Even though the black chain screens are original to the Eichlers there is something about them that reminds me of medieval castles.

only when you wear them on your head!

Joined: Mar 2 2004

Has anyone modified their fireplace so it uses 'outside' air ? I have always liked the idea of an enclosure that enables the use of outside air. Of course this would require putting a hole in the block wall of the fireplace. I believe it is well documented that a fire pulls so much air out of the house up the chimney that there may be a net heat loss despite the roaring (or not roaring) fire.

Joined: Aug 12 2004


Mine used outside air for the fire, but it's a pellet stove insert.

Have a 1/4" thick aluminum cover plate concreted over the chiminey top.

Holes for the intake and exhaust.

Intake is just 2" dia PVC pipe stuff.

The stainless steel exahust flue piping, including the flex at the insert can be used as an intake instead of an exhaust for a "regular" fireplace.

There would be "some" laws of physics wackness. Like hot air wants to raise....but in this application pulling it down to the fire.

Of course the fire place opening into the living area must be reasonably gas tight in order for this to work.

First thing I'd do is check building codes. Bet they don't have anything that would cover this one.

Fun stuff. Please post whatever you do.

Joined: Nov 8 2011

can anyone provide updated recs for fireplace covers?  I would like to start using the fireplace (getting cold in socal!) but it is bare right now. 

looking for a simple flat black cover that maximizes the opening.  are there standard covers that look nice or do i need to go custom?


Joined: Nov 26 2011

I had the same issue and I was able to fix that with paint from ace hardware.   They have a special paint that is heat resistant ( krylon, i think) in a <$10 spray can.  It sticks quite well, even on a slick gold surface.



Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.