Forum HomeCA-Modern ForumsHome Maintenance Hotline › Window post/framing wood type?

Window post/framing wood type?

2 replies [Last post]
Joined: Nov 4 2003

I need to replace the wood framing around the frosted glass window that is located right next to the front door. The horizontal "mutton", as I believe are called on traditional windows, along the ground is rotted. The piece between the vertical post and door jamb. My question is what type of wood to use. I am guessing the original beams and posts in Eichler homes are Redwood or Douglas Fur.

Appreciate insights. Of course I am not going to be slavish to originality here as it will be painted. It will be cut to match the original size. I could use man made woods or other more water resisitant woods. The repairs will be primed and painted to ensure a good seal, so I am fine with wood.

Thanks, Nelson

Joined: Jan 8 2005

I believe all of the framing on the home is Douglass Fir and the siding is Redwood so you should probably use the Fir since it has a smoother finnish for the window frame.

Joined: Nov 4 2003

Thanks for the reply, appreciate that. I'll be using the fir then for that framing fix and other areas that need replacement.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.