Forum HomeCA-Modern ForumsHome Maintenance Hotline › Closet door slider hardware

Closet door slider hardware

3 replies [Last post]
Joined: Sep 10 2003

We are in the process of wrapping up the restoration of our original closet doors with new paint and grasscloth. We would like to improve on the original style sliding system with a roller type system. We have seen this done in other houses and are looking for recommendations on what manufacturers others have used. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Joined: May 24 2004

I won't be replacing my closet doors for a couple years but I broke the nylon/plastic slider mechanism on the bottom of one of our sliding doors. I'd like to buy some surplus sliding closet door mechanisms from you.

Thank you.

Joined: Mar 20 2003

There are likely different mechanisms out there. Ours door, seemingly original with the grass cloths, (1960) hangs off wooden tracks with a simple metal guide on the floor. I've been looking at replacing the so-so wooden system with something that is easier to move, although true to the original hanging principle. No luck so far.


Joined: Apr 2 2003

Seems to me I replied to a similar question not that long ago... or maybe I was intending to reply and didn't. No matter.

I live in a Jones&Emmons 1960 atrium model in San Jose. Its closet doors run on overhead wood rails and metal floor guides. All the closet doors were off when I bought the house, stacked in the garage. When I rehung them, I found out why--they were almost unusable.

So, I've been restoring them in spare moments. For the closets whose overhead tracts were unsalvageable, I've turned to Stanley's "Sliding door Hardware set" which comes in several lengths including the 60" width needed for my closets. The instructions with the kit are pretty good and there are pictures re: installation on the outside of the box to give you an idea. Note that it includes a default set of offset rollers (assumes a certain door thickness) which you might have to replace. This is easy to do--Stanley sells the various roller offset sizes in individual packages.

Anyway, if you don't have a solution already, I suggest you pick up a Stanley sliding door hardware set at your nearest Home Depot and do some trial fits. The box says the re-orderno is 40-3050.

Good luck.

P.S. the person looking for plastic floor guides is possibly looking for an updated (not original) floor guide such as Stanley makes. They might try a Stanley supplier such as Home Depot as well. Possibly Stanley has a website with part info.

eichfan at rawbw dot com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.